Project BTS [RE]Fashion: A Raglan of Monster Proportions


raglan of monster proportions 3Ouch. That picture is HORRIBLE! You’ll have to deal with it as is for now until I cant get my camera working right again. It was the last picture taken, and of course, it had to be when my camera wasn’t working right. Ugh.

Okay, so here we are at project #2 for Project Back to School [RE]Fashion! In case you haven’t been following along before now, I’m taking a gargantuan amount of clothes I can no longer fit into and refashioning them into school clothes for my daughter. Project #1 was a fitted raglan made from a shirt and pajama pants.

As you can see, for project #2, I went with the raglan tee again. I really just couldn’t get enough of how quick and easy it all came together! To get the 411 (do people still say that these days??) on how to make your own awesome raglan, Jess from Craftiness is not Optional has got the perfect tutorial to show you how…as well as how to make your own pattern for it! You can find that tutorial here.

For this shirt, I used the pattern I made from my Jammies on My Shoulders raglan but shortened it by two inches on the bottom and 1 1/2 inches on the sleeves. I also curved the bottom to give it little touches of difference from the first. This is what I started with:

raglan of monster proportions 2

One of the things I have discovered in delving into this project is that there are going to be many pieces I can’t use for my daughter’s clothes simply because the clothes aren’t big enough from side to side to accommodate the width for her pattern pieces. Like I said before, if I ever get to that size again, punch me in the throat and feed me a cheeseburger. Sheesh. I’m pretty confident, however, that with my love of food, I won’t be at teenage sizes again. And we all said, “Amen!”

Anywho, because of this, I ended up needing to use more than one shirt to make up hers. The black shirt was one of those silky workout type shirts – very slippery, mostly made up of polyester. The pink and ivory were poly/spandex/cotton blended camis. I used the ivory cami for the sleeves, the black for the back of the shirt as well as the neckline from it, and the pink for the front.

I loved the look of the shirt when I finished sewing, but it really just needed something extra. My daughter loves Monster High, and I have to admit, I think they’re pretty darn cool, too! And with the colors in the shirt, doing something with Monster High was the perfect match.

I stated scouring the internet for pictures of the different characters, namely Draculaura because she’s my daughter’s favorite (or was until about 12 hours ago when I was informed she now has a new favorite.) I knew I wanted to try out fabric paint as I have never used it before and would love to have more ways to make the clothes I want to make beyond just sewing. Thus, I needed a negative space picture.

Negative space has never been my forte. I can depict something once it’s done, but getting it there is a completely different story. However, I did find a couple of really good examples online and set to work drawing them up myself. This is what I ended up with:

raglan of monster proportions 1

I know it looks a bit strange here, but it’s that whole negative space thing. When it’s set against a different colored background, it all comes together.

With the completed drawing and the sewn shirt, I had the tools I needed to follow the tutorial from Celina over at Petit a Petit and Family for using the freezer paper stencil technique. While you’re over there, check out the tutorial she made for her Penguin at the North Pole T-Shirt using this method. It is darling! She does such an amazing job designing and personalizing! And her tutorial for this was wonderful. She really is an inspiration for me and what I hope to accomplish in future skills.

raglan of monster proportions 5I will warn you: if you use this to do your own Draculaura print, make sure you work slowly when cutting out everything with your exacto knife. Getting around those curves can be a bit tricky. Patience is most definitely key.

raglan of monster proportions 4

I actually put three coats on of the paint because it just wasn’t coming out as bright white as I was hoping. However, once it finished drying and I peeled away the freezer paper stencil, it was pretty bubbly in some areas. I’m not sure if I should’ve stayed away from that third coat (I did do each of them lightly) or if it will settle itself back down after it goes through the wash. Either way, I’ll find out in 72 hours when I can officially wash it. Yes, that’s me. Miss Impatient. I couldn’t just wait until I washed it to write this post. However, I WILL come back and update you as to what the outcome is.

If you want to make your own Raglan of Monster Proportions, feel free to print out my stencil from above and use it. I can’t for the life of me figure out how to make it a separate file that you can download, so I hope opening it and printing works. Let me know if it doesn’t. And don’t forget to check out Jess’s tutorial on the raglan and Celina’s tutorial on the freezer paper stenciling to get you from start to finish! Or, you can always use a shirt you have already!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s